Making friends at University (Uni) when an external student is a little more difficult than if you are attending lectures on campus. You are not likely to see fellow students face to face unless you attend an Intensive School (where you attend a few days on campus with other external students) or have an examination with other students from your area.However, you can get to know people quite well through online communication.
Here are my tips to getting to know others in your course.
1. Introduce yourself in your online unit and read fellow students introductions – comment if someone has a similar interest to you or lives in a nearby location.
2. Find out who lives in your area that is studying your units. Usually a list of names and locations are made available to students studying the same units.
3. If attending an Intensive school, organise to meet with someone you have been chatting to within the unit.
4. If group work is required within a unit, join early, introduce yourself and make regular contributions.
5. Contribute to forum discussions and comment on fellow students posts. It is a great way to learn more about a person.
Your time at University is not only about learning but it also has an important social aspect. You never know, you might just find a lifelong friend!